So here are some tid-bits from my running (and eating) year.
|After the Nick Adenhart 5K|
- Participate in 10 races - This goal started out with only 3 races. But when I completed that within the first half of the year, I thought I would up the goal with 10. I still, kicked that goal's ass. I rocked 12 races for the year.
- Participate in 1 half - I ran 13.1 on plenty occasions, but I had yet to complete an official race. I participated in the Frederick Half Marathon as my first in May. I completed 4 half marathons in 2013. :o)
- Complete a 15 mile run - This goal was accomplished in January. It was the first run that I realized the benefits of eating on a run!
- Complete a 20 mile run - This goal was also accomplished earlier than I had anticipated (February). I was on fire!!!
- Complete 26.2 miles - This goal was a challenge! But attainable! My first attempt was in March, which I found myself hitting the wall between mile 20-23, which lead to my failure. For months, I put the goal off because it really did hurt my confidence, but when I was hitting 20 mile long runs, I figured I would try again. I was better prepared and reached the goal in October!
- Complete a mile in 6:30 - Unfortunately, I never hit this goal, but I did at least get a mile in the 6 minute range. Though, there is always next year :)
Top 2013 Races
It is really difficult for me to pick my top races of 2013. I think each was a great experience for me, but if I had to chose, here are my top 5.
- The Frederick Running Festival - This was my very first half marathon, so it will hold a special place in my heart for some time. I was very impressed with the size, organization, pacers, shirts, medals, PRs, etc. I will be a repeat runner for this race in 2014!
- The Hershey Half Marathon - I have said it before and I will say it again, there is no race that can compare to one that is focused around CHOCOLATE!
- Nick Adenhart 5k - I was very happy to support a fallen Wildcat that I went to school with. Though I did not know Nick personally, I felt obligated to participate. I also LOVE running this course. I have run the same course in the Run for Freedom 5k and have also found myself running it on my weekend long runs. This was the first race that I ever got first in my age group! Pretty impressive!
- The HCC Turkey Trot - This race will always be a tradition. It was the first 5k I ever ran and I have loved it every year I have participated. What was so special about it this year was having both my best friend, Ashley, and my fiance Peter running it with me!
- Krumpe's Donuts 5k - Again, any race that is focused on delicious treats will always be rated high in my book! Not only did I get a free donut at the end, but I did better than I expected! This was my first race post-surgery and I finished just under 25 minutes. It really boosted my confidence after feeling down for some time.
Top 3 Recipes
- Grilled Avocado Chicken Burger - Healthy and delicious! Need I say more? It was a hit with not only Peter and me, but all of my friends that tried it.
- Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa and Chicken - Again, a healthier recipe that tastes fabulous! I thoroughly enjoyed this when we had fresh peppers from the garden. I can't wait till we start growing again so I can have stuffed peppers all the time!
- Chicken Quesadillas - I have made this recipe more than a dozen times this past year. Peter and I love it, our friends & family love it, and it is super simple to make!
I thank each and every one of you that shared this wonderful year with me. I hope you all had a great year and intend on having an even better 2014!
What was your favorite race of 2013?
Did you accomplish all of your goals? Which one was the most rewarding?
What was your favorite food dish you had?